Here is some information about the country we are currently living in.
- Full name: Republic of Sierra Leone
- Population: 5.7 million (UN, 2009)
- Capital: Freetown
- Area: 71,740 sq km (27,699 sq miles)
- Major languages: English, Krio (Creole language derived from English) and a range of tribal languages
- Major religions: Islam, Christianity
Politics: Sierra Leone is recovering from a 10-year civil war which ended in 2002; a war centered around a power struggle and had a regional dimension
Economics: There has been substantial growth in recent years, but Sierra Leone remains bottom of UN’s league for human development
Our camp site is approximately 10 miles away from the city of Koidu in the Eastern Province of the country.
Sierra Leone is a beautiful place with white sand beaches and lush green mountains. The climate is tropical with two seasons; rainy season and dry season.