The West Wycombe Caves seem to hide many secrets. They are also known as the Hellfire Caves because around 1750 a high society group of gentlemen, including Benjamin Franklin, belonged to the secret Hellfire Club and used the caves for their own enjoyment.
The chalk that came out of the caves was used to construct a local road but then the system of of tunnels and chambers that extend a quarter of a mile underground was used solely as a meeting place for the Hellfire Club.
Even more strange, the caves were positioned directly under a church.
Saint Lawrence’s Church and Mausoleum.
There is still much intrigue around the practices of the members, but they have been described as “rigorously pagan.”